Thursday, February 01, 2007

Quote of the day

Long ago, I visited the village Maddipadu near Ongole in Andhra Pradesh where my father was teaching. I met the village munsif who was my father's neighbour. He did not study beyond fifth class and never travelled in a train. Yet he started the village high school. By that time I had a Ph.D. travelled in several countries. I was confused and silly (still am) and wondered why I did not have the calm wisdom of the villager who never travelled 50 miles beyond his village. Today I saw this inCosmic Voices:

It is said Somerset Maugham traveled the world with a notebook to learn the essence of life and Kafka sat in a room for the same objective. Yet Kafka came out with a better world-view. - U.R. ANANTHA MURTHY

3 comments:

Cosmic Voices said...

You would get the interview of Ananthamurthy from which the quote is taken from here

Cosmic Voices said...

http://churumuri.wordpress.com/ur-anantha-murthy/

gaddeswarup said...

CV:
Thanks for the link. Pankaj Mishra's "Edmund Wilson in Benares" came closer to my growing up experiences. But like Anantha Murthy, I too would like to farm though I doubt whether it is possible with arthritis creeping in. My father managed some mainly with the help of his brothers and students.