Monday, February 02, 2009

Ruchira Paul on her book reviews

From Bland Book Reviews :-) :
"Namit draws attention to Narayan's impassioned critique of the author's style and my own descriptive plot driven approach to the review of the same novel, Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh. In response to Namit's query I will attempt to explain to our readers why my book reviews come across more as précis style presentations than literary criticisms.

Although an avid reader from early childhood, I have never been a terribly literary person. I treat books very much like meals - to be examined, consumed, deriving whatever nutrition they offer and moving on. Some are relished like gourmet treats, some approached with playful or cautious interest and others summarily rejected after the first bite. No matter how deep an imprint a book leaves on my memory and my psyche, I feel little need to dwell too long on it or to connect it to a past or future reading experience in any formally meaningful way. Although I do recall with precision how a very good book managed to touch me, I don't feel compelled to recount the details of those feelings to others who may or may not agree with my assessment. Reading seems like a very private enjoyment. Therefore the lack of ardor in public."
And more. Bloggers often write about topics about which they do not have much expertise but are not entirely aloof from the topics they discuss, like to share and exchange information with others and move on. Seems like a sensible approach to me.

No comments: