Saturday, May 03, 2014

Population growth and economic growth.

I do not know economics. Piketty's book was the first one that I read in some detail. I was surprised to see that population growth was included in growth rate. Now I find from a paper on city states  (via Chris Blattman) "As is common in work on the early European economy, population growth is used as a (admittedly imperfect) proxy for economic growth."
From the conclusion of the paper ".. I have examined the proposition whether the establishment of political autonomy for a city may have initially led high state of growth followed by a subsequent period of stagnation as barriers to entry prevented the entry of entrepreneurs. Using a sample of 173 cities, I have presented several forms of evidence to support this proposition".

No comments: